A. View of humans:
B. What psychology should be:
C. Founded by quacks, biologists, and physicians and is still extremely popular today.
- Phrenology lead people to believe that (a) the brain influenced personality and (b) specific parts of the brain were responsible for different traits.
To learn more about phrenology, see The History of Phrenology on the Web
- Our efforts to study the brain has a long history
- Examples of the neurophysiological approach's popularity today:
Evidence (but certainly not proof) for the idea that the physical brain controls thought, emotion, and behavior.
- Early evidence: The strange case of Phineas Gage made people receptive to the idea that the brain did affect personality. Some Gage sites:
- More recent evidence:
Note: If you are wondering about whether you are depressed, you could take the following test.
- The strange case of cat poop and personality
- Drugs that may cause depression include some antidepressants, some anti-anxiety drugs, some opioids, and even some allergy medicines.
D. Objections/Problems with this "physical" approach
1. Philosophical question: The mind body problem: What is the relationship between the mind/soul and the body/brain?E. Promising new developments
Some see near death experiences as evidence for more the mind being more than the body.
However, there are scientific explanations for out-of-body experiences supporting the view that the mind is nothing more than the brain (video)
2. Two (past) scientific problems
(Remember: Science depends on e_____________).
F. Applications to Therapy
- b. ECT
- c. Surgery
In the past, surgery included lobotomy.
Story of a person who had a lobotomy (from PBS).
2. Questions/Objections to Biological Therapies
1. Explain why no single approach is sufficient to completely understand human behavior.
2. Explain the neurophysiological approach to psychology.
3. List at least three objections to the neurophysiological approach.
4. Describe at least one instance where the neurophysiological approach has been very successful.
5. Evaluate the statement: The neurophysiological approach is the most scientific approach to studying psychology.
6. Be able to explain how a neurophysiologist would diagnose a violent individual.
You should also:
Back to Lecture Menu